Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Holbrooke's Jest (?)

I watched Charlie Rose on PBS last night. (Rose is a new addiction for me; Charlie is, I ,just discovered, a very classy guy, with his Ralph Lauren suits and all.) Rose mounted an impressive tribute to the late Richard Holbrooke. He had had H. on his program 55 times in some fourteen years (I think he said,) H.'s friends  on the program were monumentally complimentary to H. I had him filed away as just another dreadful neoconservative, but that now appears to me to have been some wrong and a bit blinded. More to the story, it appears. Anyway, on Rose there was no mention of H.'s last words, now so famous (280,000 hits on Google): a categorical "the Afghan war must be ended." We shall see whether these words become as famous as, say, Goethe's "Mehr licht!" They should. It is a central truth of our time: that war MUST be ended. NPR suggested H. was jesting with his Pakistani doctor before the 20-hour operation he did not survive. Some jest. God bless him and keep him and may we remember his last thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment