Thursday, December 16, 2010

Holbrooke Reconsidered

In my last post I was moved to speak I thought a little charitably about Richard Holbrooke, the U.S. diplomat who died at 69 a couple of days ago after a long operation at a D.C. hospital. Today I read Justin Raimondo's evaluation of H.'s work on Raimondo's site Antiwar.com. Read it here.

Raimondo is not moved to let H. off the hook. He was, says Raimondo, a full-tilt warmonger and the guy who brought us the present crowd of Kosovo organ-traffickers in all their effulgent criminality. That may well be. H. was in cahoots with the Clintons back then, and he has been much supported by Hillary lately; in other words from an antiwar point of view he was running with a very bad, not to say criminal, crowd.

But I would prefer to let my mild words about H. stand. In recent years I have been mightily impressed by what seem to me the Lord's express formula for making it through the gates oneself: forgive others who have trespassed against you as you would be forgiven by God for your trespasses. In this as in everything else the Christ was a total revolutionary; he would have us all abandon our "usual (vindictive) ways."

No comments:

Post a Comment